Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hanging Out in Palembang

I've been in Palembang just about a month now, and I'm starting to settle in. I know names and recognize faces, and things are getting more comfortable, or rather less uncomfortable.
     I feel very fortunate to have found myself fitting into a few social groups in Palembang. I had some built in friends from the US Government (Dustin, another ETA, and Dierdre, the English Language Fellow in Palembang), and they have been lovely. Dierdre has a spare room at her place so I have stayed over there a few times on the weekend. It is so nice to have solid English conversations after days of trying to communicate in an Indonesian/English combo that changes depending on who you talk to.
 Most of the other friends I have made have been through Dierdre, who found some friends online before heading out here. First we have Femmi and Ramdan, two Indonesians who work at the coolest radio station in town, 97.5 Play FM. They both have great English (Femmi is a part time English Teacher) and like meeting new people. They knew the ETAs in Palembang a few years back too. They are fun to hang out with around town or at the radio studio. The studio has great people, fast wifi, AC, and is conveniently located above a restaurant that serves burgers, lattes, beer (rare). I have come here (I'm writing this from the studio, of course) on any days off I have during the week to skypre, email, blog, and hang out. It's a nice thing to look forward to. Femmi live pretty close to my house so we've gone out for coffee a few times, to do "lesson planning".
     Dierdre also found some other English teachers who work for a company called English First, which is for students who want additional English lessons after school. There is a house that all of the teachers live in together, and there are 5-6 cycling through on one year contracts. We went over to their house a few weekends ago, and I went out to get reflexi (reflexology) and dinner with one of the girls, Megan, this past weekend. The EF teachers have a few contacts that get shared from past generations, so meeting them connected me to a lot of people in Palembang.
     So, I have plenty of wonderful people to hang out with, but Palembang doesn't have a whole lot to do. We can hang out at people's houses, or the radio studio, I have been to all of the malls several times (PIM, PTC, and PS), and seen the Ampera Bridge at night, and I think we are running out of activities. Luckily, people here are really into karaoke! I am a big fan of singing songs really loud, and I am in good company. The karaoke places have private group rooms, so you can belt  out songs with your favorite friends. I went out to karaoke both Friday and Saturday night, and I'd probably be happy doing it every weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment